Business Plan Builder - Quick Start Guide
- Getting to Know the Business Plan Builder
- Starting Your Business Plan
- Getting to Know the Narrative Tab
- Starting Your Financials
- Download the PDF -
- Download Adobe Acrobat
With the Business Plan Builder, you can easily build a cost-effective, professional business plan. The applications's wizard-style design walks you step-by-step through the creation of a plan with the polish and precision of a seasoned professional. We recommend that you take a few moments to familiarize yourself with the layout and the available functionality.
Getting to Know the Business Plan Builder
- Start by creating a new plan in the Plans tab.
- Provide your Company Information for your business plan.
- Write your business plan by using various templates to help you complete each section of the business plan.
- The Financials tab is where you will be asked to add in particular costs and funds that are needed and associated with your business.
- Here, as you complete the Financial Section, Financial Reports are generated without you having to complete any calculations. These Financial Reports include:
a. Balance Sheet Statement
b. Income Statement
c. Cash Flow Statement
d. And many other Reports that help your potential investor or lender understand your Financials.
- View sample business plans to help you understand what a complete one looks like.
- Click this link to download and print off your completed Business Plan.
It's simple to start your business plan. Just follow the steps below to get started.
Starting Your Business Plan
1. Select the Start a Plan button to begin.
2. Then give your plan a name and if necessary a description, and click Add New Plan to continue.
3. You will then be asked to fill out your company information. Once completed, click the Save & Next button to proceed.
4. Next you will be asked to type or find an industry name. This information will automatically populate into certain areas of your template where it mentions the industry you are in, so you don't have to input it yourself.
5. You will then be asked to select the type of template you will be creating your business plan from. Be sure to find a template that best fits your business.
*We provide template language that is both general and specific depending on the section that you are in. We are constantly adding new templates and updating text. We suggest you find a template that best fits your business, and work from there.
6. You will then be asked to input some basic information such as:
- Year your company was founded.
- Month & Day your fiscal year ends.
- Month & Year your plan was prepared.
- And a simple one-line description of your business
7. Next you will be taken to the Narrative section. Here you will be given an introduction on how this section works. Just click Continue to proceed.
8. To complete a section, select the choices in the Wizard that are most relevant to your business. Then click next.
-Then you will be able to preview the template based on the choices made from the Wizard. After reviewing the template text, just click the button below to add it, work from it and put it in your business plan.
-Your text will then appear in your text editor as displayed below. Here you can add and edit as much information as possible.
The Narrative section is where you will be writing and developing your business plan. Here is where you will use the business plan wizard to complete each section of the business plan.
- This is the Wizard tab. Here you will be asked to select text or topics that are relevant to your business plan. After completing the Wizard, you will be presented with a template text based on your choices.
- After complete the Wizard step, you have the option to add the presented text to your business plan. Just click the ‘Click here to add this template to your business plan’ button located below the template text. That text will then appear in a text editor where you can add and edit as much information as possible.
- View and read an explanation of the section that you are in.
- Allow access to advisors to leave comments for particular parts of your business plan.
- Watch a brief video on a particular section.
- Add or delete as many sections as you would like in your business plan.
- These are the Sections of your business plan.
The Financials tab is where you will be asked to add in particular costs and funds that are needed and associated with your business. In the end, you will end up with a complete set of Financial Reports needed to be submitted with your Business Plan.
All you have to do is provide the costs and funds needed and the application does the calculations for you. There is no financial or accounting background needed to produce these financial statements.
The costs and assumptions you provide however must be backed up with credible research and statistics. Assumptions are simply the reasoning behind how and why certain expenses cost what they are..
Starting Your Financials
1. First, navigate to the Financial tab. Once there, you will be asked to begin with General Assumptions. Your financials are all based on assumptions that are backed up with credible research and statistics.
2. Next, you will be asked to add your Revenue assumptions. Your revenue assumptions are simply how you make sales. Your types are:
- Product Sales (Units)- Sales displayed by each product.
- Product Sales (Gross)- Sales displayed in total.
- Services- Sales displayed by service.
- Professional- Sales displayed by professional services.
- Commissioned- Sales displayed by commission.
Choose a revenue assumption that best fits your business type and click the Add Revenue Items button to continue.
3. Once you have selected a revenue assumption type, you will be asked to project your sales and complete the assumptions, such as when you expect revenues to start, what your sales are going to be for the first 6 months, and how much you expect sales to increase up to 60 months after that.
Click Save to save any changes that you have made.
Proceed through the rest of the Financial sections, and remember you have the Help icon next to every open field to guide you through the process.